This is the PMLessonsLearned.com conference call from 16Aug2007.
The topic was "How to DO Lessons Learned" - Presented by Host Henry Will, PMP and Barbara Fuller, PMP (of processandprojectsolutions.com) (note: our originally scheduled presenter was not available)
Download or Listen to the MP3 of PMLessonsLearned.com Episode 0019
(if your computer doesn't support that link, then this link or this link may work)
Notes from the Conference Call:
*Introduction to call and panelists
*Warm up Question ("when have you found that you're "re-inventing the wheel" on a project and wished that you had been able to leverage information from a past project")
* Career moment - Angela Varachi - Tek Systems - 973-434-6091 (Angela reported on a Survey by the Society of Information Management that expressed that the top 2 concerns of 139 CIOs surveyed were 1) IT and Business Alignment and 2) Attracting, Retaining, and Developing Talent
* A few announcements (see below)
* Lessons Learned topic - How to DO Lessons Learned (see outline below)
* Open session after stopping recording (for networking, discussion, etc. - The question was asked and discussed about how serious PMI is when evaluating your past experience in project management for the PMP Certification? )
Outline of the topic "How to DO Lessons Learned"
1. The Goals of Lessons Learned
2. The benefits of Lessons Learned and the drawbacks of not doing them
3. The 3 steps of Lessons Learned
3.1. The Collection of Lessons Learned and what to collect (Templates, Processes, Resources: environment, resources, tools, infrastructure )
3.2. Storing Lessons Learned - Analyzing and Categorizing Lessons Learned - in small and large organizations ( i.e. the job of the PMO and how to do it yourself if the organization doesn't support it)
3.3. Applying Lessons Learned - on a future project
4. Tools (homegrown Vs. COTS) and adding Lessons Learned to the project manager's toolbelt (suggestions on how to grow your own "toolbelt" of lessons Learned)
5. Review of the benefits of Lessons Learned
Other items mentioned on the call:
* Webinar: Using Project History Data to Better Manage ITAugust 30, 2007, 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm EST - This webinar looks at the benefits of using project history data to better manage IT. Specific benefits include improved project estimation & management, benchmarking, process improvement and improved infrastructure planning. Space is limited. Reserve your Webinar seat now at: https://www.gotomeeting.com/register/885811995 To See the entire webinar schedule, Please visit the IT Metrics and Productivity Institute Main Webinar Page at: http://www.itmpi.org/webinars - The IT Metrics and Productivity Institute is an organization founded by CAI to improve the practice and management of software development and maintenance.
* Prize: PMP Exam Prepcast to be given away on next FREE PMP Exam Study Group confcall and podcast: Cornelius Fichtner, producer of the PMP Exam Prepcast, has donated two free subscriptions for the PM Prepcast, (see pmprepcast.com for details) to be given away on the next FREE PMLessonsLearned.com PMP Exam Study Group confcall (and the podcast of the recording) on Sept. 6, 2007. Two prizes will be given away: one on the live call and one on the podcast. Each prize has a value of $39.99! You can win this prize in one (or both) of two ways: 1) You must either be on the call promptly at 9PM Eastern for a roll-call (and remain on the call until the prize is given away at the end of the live call), OR, 2) You must listen to the podcast of the call after it's published on the website . Details will be announced on the conference call on Sept. 6. Join in the fun and try to win this fabulous prize to help you in your study for the PMP Exam!
* Controlling Chaos Podcast Episode 032 - Agile Estimating http://www.controllingchaos.com/?p=88
* We're looking for a volunteer (we're all volunteers at PMLessonsLearned.com) to compile and manage a set of PM Templates (public domain of course). If you're interested, please contact us via the link on our homepage.
Please join us for a future conference call. We currently have several calls a month.
We highly recommend that you join the free yahoo group in order to get announcements of our calls and other information to further your PM career.
Join our Yahoo group for details, reminders of the calls, and information to help you in your PM Career. Visit the website for details.
PMLessonsLearned.com - It's all about PMs helping PMs and is open to all.